PUBLIC USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
While the district’s school buildings and grounds are maintained primarily for the purpose of educating students within the district, the Board of Education recognizes that the buildings and grounds are a valuable community resource and believes that this resource should be available to the community for specific uses that will not interfere with educational activities. This policy is intended to identify the uses that community groups may make of those facilities.
District facilities may be used for the purposes listed below, subject to the conditions and restrictions set forth in this policy.
A. Instruction in any branch of education, learning or the arts.
B. Public library purposes, subject to provisions of the Education Law, or as stations of public libraries.
C. Social, civic and recreational meetings and entertainments, or other uses pertaining to the welfare of the community so long as such uses are non-exclusive and open to the general public.
D. Meetings, entertainment and occasions where admission fees are charged, when the proceeds are to be spent for an educational or charitable purpose.
E. Polling places for holding primaries and elections, for the registration of voters.
F. Civic forums and community centers.
G. Recreation, physical training and athletics, including competitive athletic contests of children attending a private, nonprofit school.
H. Child-care programs when school is not in session, or when school is in session for the children of students attending schools of the district and, if there is additional space available, for children of employees of the district.
I. Graduation exercises held by not-for-profit elementary and secondary schools, provided that no religious service is performed.
Any use not permitted by this policy is prohibited. In addition, the following uses are specifically prohibited.
A. Meetings sponsored by political organizations.
B. Meetings, entertainments and occasions that are under the exclusive control of and the proceeds are to be applied for the benefit of a society, association or organization or a religious sect or denomination or of a fraternal, secret or exclusive society or organization, other than veterans’ organizations or volunteer fire fighters or volunteer ambulance workers.
CONDITIONS FOR USE OF DISTRICT FACILITIES:
A. Use of district facilities may be permitted unless such facilities are in use for school purposes, or during educational programs. The district reserves exclusive and non reviewable judgment to determine if a requested use would interfere with or disturb the district’s educational programs.
B. To ensure that district facilities are preserved for the benefit of the greater district community, only community based groups and organizations (that is, groups which are located within the geographic area covered by the district) may be granted access to district facilities.
C. Use of district facilities will be permitted only where the applicant agrees to pay the district a user fee according to a schedule adopted by the district to cover the costs of heat, electricity, maintenance, custodial services and any other expenses associated with the requested use. Use is further conditioned upon the applicant’s agreement to pay additional fees associated with the use of any additional services or equipment. The district retains the right to condition use upon an applicant depositing with the district a sum equaling the estimated costs and fees associated with the proposed use 10 days in advance of the requested use. The district retains the further right to waive user fees for groups that are associated with or sponsored by the district.
D. Where, in the judgment of the district, the requested use of district facilities requires special equipment or supervision, the district reserves the right to deny such use, or in the alternative, to condition such use upon the applicant’s payment of additional fees in accordance with paragraph C above. Only authorized personnel shall operate district equipment.
E. Use of district facilities will only be permitted where the organization provides the district timely evidence of adequate insurance coverage ($1,000,000 minimum) to save the district harmless from all liability, property damage, personal injuries and/or medical expenses. The district will exercise complete and unreviewable discretion regarding what constitutes adequate insurance coverage for each proposed use.
F. The Board reserves the discretion to deny use of district facilities described above, or to terminate use of district facilities:
1. By an applicant who has previously misused or abused district facilities or property or who has violated this policy;
2. For any use which could have the effect of violating the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution or other provisions of the United States or New York State Constitutions;
3. For any use which, in the estimation of the Board, could reasonably be expected to or actually does give rise to a riot or public disturbance;
4. For any use which the Board deems inconsistent with this policy;
5. For any use by a private for-profit entity that has the direct or indirect effect of promoting the products or services of such entity;
6. In any instance where alcoholic beverages or unlawful drugs are sold, distributed, consumed, promoted or possessed;
7. For any use prohibited by law.
BEFORE USING FACILITIES:
Note any broken equipment, building damage, or trash on floors when you arrive. Notify Building Principal of these findings the following workday or as soon as possible. If you do not make notification, your group could be blamed for damage and/or trash, and have building use privileges revoked.
WHILE USING FACILITIES:
- No smoking allowed inside buildings.
- No alcoholic beverages allowed on school property
- No food allowed in gymnasiums
- All participants must be supervised
- Arrangements must be made with Food Service Director at least one week in advance or as soon as possible.
- Permit from the Health Department may be required.
AFTER USING FACILITIES:
- Sweep floors
- Place sweepings into trash
- Put away all equipment
- Flush toilets
- Turn off water in sinks and showers
- Turn off lights
- Check and lock all doors
In order to protect school property and facilities, and to provide a safe environment for all employees and visitors, all groups requesting use of Saranac Central School District facilities must follow the rules below.
BUILDING ACCESS CARDS:
- Access cards are NOT to be used for entry into a building for any purpose other than that stated on the attached Building Use Request Form.
- Access cards are NOT to be loaned to anyone.
- If an access card is lost, notify the School District’s Maintenance Department at 565-5620 immediately.
- Access cards MUST be returned to the School District at the end of the period stated on the attached Building Use Request form.
BUILDING USAGE RULES:
- No smoking is allowed inside buildings or on school grounds.
- No drinking of alcoholic beverages is permitted.
- All activity shall be restricted to that area approved on the request form.
- The activity shall not extend beyond the hours approved on the request form.
- The individual in charge of the activity shall be present before the activity starts and will remain with the group until all have left.
- No school property or equipment is to be altered or removed from school premises.
- After the activity has ended, turn off all lights, flush all toilets and turn off water in sinks and showers, and lock all outside doors.
- Ensure all equipment is put away, sweep floors and place sweepings into trash.
- If you are planning on offering food items please contact the Food Services Director at 565-5705 at least one week in advance or as soon as possible.
- The number of persons admitted for a function must not exceed room capacity limits.
- Whenever inclement weather or an emergency situation cause the closing of District schools, all after-school functions scheduled for that day will be canceled.
- The person in charge of a function must notify persons in attendance, at the beginning of the function, of the procedures to be followed in case of an emergency.
- In the case of an accident resulting in injury to any person or damage to personal property, the incident must be reported in writing to the Superintendent within a specified time after the function.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR INTERNAL GROUPS:
If you are an internal group (group or club sponsored by the Saranac Central School District and requested by a District employee in charge of group or club), please submit your request via the link below labeled Facility Use Request Application. Internal groups are:
Saranac High School/Middle School Bands, Saranac Middle School Builders Club, Saranac High School/Middle School Drama Clubs, Saranac High School/Middle School Student Council, Saranac High School/Middle School Yearbook Clubs, Saranac Senior High Freedom Club, Saranac Senior High French Club, Saranac Senior High Home & Careers Club, Saranac Senior High Key Club, Saranac Senior High Library Club, Saranac Senior High Model UN, Saranac High School/Middle School National Honor Societies, Saranac Senior High Library Club, Saranac Senior High Outdoor Club, Saranac Senior High SADD Club, Saranac Senior High Multicultural Club, Saranac Senior High Art Club, and Saranac Senior High Classes of 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR EXTERNAL GROUPS OR ORGANIZATIONS:
If your group is not listed above, then you are considered an external group and the following applies to you:
Insurance Requirements: To protect School District residents from insurance claims resulting from the use of school buildings and grounds by groups or organizations, a Certificate of Insurance naming Saranac Central School District as an additional insured with liability limits of not less than $1,000,000 for bodily injury and $1,000,000 for property damage or $1,000,000 combined limits, is to be submitted prior to use of the school building and/or grounds. To submit your insurance certificate, please provide a copy to the District Office, Attn: Lisa Dew.
Chargeable Expenses: Groups or organizations shall be charged for direct personnel expenses incurred by the District that are in addition to those that the District would have incurred had the facilities not been in use. This charge is subject to the discretion of the District.
Use of outside grounds: Groups or organizations will be charged a refundable security deposit of $100 for the purpose of insuring appropriate care and use of grounds. The deposit must be received prior to use or request will not be approved and considered on hold pending payment. Deposits will be refunded at the end of the use period, upon the discretion of the Athletic Director. Deposits must be submitted to the District Office, Attn: Lisa Dew. Checks are to be made payable to the Saranac Central School District.
Use of indoor facilities: Non-resident groups or groups located outside the District’s geographic boundaries will be charged a facility use fee per the rate schedule below, plus reimbursement for custodial services, if required by requestor for the event/use. All fees must be paid prior to use. Payment must be submitted to the District Office. Checks are to be made payable to the Saranac Central School District.
Rate Schedule: 0 to 3 hours - $20 for first three hours, plus personnel costs. $10 for each hour over 3 hours, plus personnel costs.
The District will not reimburse fees paid for date and time changes made by the requestor, unless use is cancelled by the District.
If you have read and agree to abide by the rules above, and accept full responsibility for the building access card and the use of the School District’s Facilities, agree to accept full financial responsibility for any and all damages done to Saranac School property by group members or their guests, and understand that if you, or individuals you are responsible for, do not follow these rules the use of School District facilities will be revoked, please continue by submitting your request to the link below labeled Facility Use Request Application.